Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Lucky, Lucky girl...

I be.

I have three gorgeous boyos, who are happy, and mostly healthy, a rock solid marriage to my bestest friend, a tight-knit circle of a few sistas that would bleed for each other, and a wicked sense of humor (most days).

Which is why I know I'll be okay.

I went to the doctor last week, for extreme period pain. Mine was never very bad, until I had Lucien. Then, it got closer together, and started hurting, quite a bit, on the first 1-2 days. I went when he was a year old, and they found nothing, after scaring the crap out of me, and telling me it was probably cancer.

Fast forward 6 years ( I know, yell at me, I deserve it, LOL), and I finally went back, because at this point, I'm almost in tears the first two days, and hurt for a week before my period actually comes.

I picked my doctor in a very scientific manner. I looked up my insurance, who was close, found their websites, picked the all-woman practice closest to me (don't know about you, but my days of allowing strange men to stick things in my vagina have passed, long ago), and went to the "Biography" page.

"Lets see....skinny...skinny...skinnier....chubby....chubbier! Bingo!"

"I'd like to make an appointment with Dr. Fluffy please"

Very scientific.

She was awesome, totally set me at ease. For as much of a slut as I was as a teen, I'm usually a bit traumatized by trips to the GYN for days afterwards. This was almost easy.

Until she said she could feel a mass, and told me I needed an ultrasound, and a pelvic scan (for those of you in the know...there is a difference?). I couldn't get an appointment for a few days, and as my period was imminent, I postponed until after it arrived to make the appointment.

The Man is freaking OUT. My mother is FREAKING THE FUCK OUT.

I'm pretty zen about the whole thing. I'm really not all that worried. Most things in my life that seemed catastrophic in the beginning, have worked themselves out, most of the time, leaving me better off than I was beforehand.

As long as I don't die, I'll be fine (Captain Obvious!). And really, I am way to busy to have that happening right now.

1 comment:

nancy said...

Yes, be ZEN until you know what you are dealing with.

After I had my second, I started getting TERRIBLE period pain. Like holding myself pain. And it turned out I had LUF syndrome where I would have a normal cycle and then when a follicle would grow big enough to release, my body would give off the hormone to release but instead, my body would say "no fucking way!" and my follicles were growing to 10cm proportions. ONce I had 3 at one time. But they shrink with the coming of the next cycle and it starts all over again, basically only feeling pain during the period.

So, you can see that they aren't always scary. Sucks, but not the big C.

Will be watching to see what happens.